ID help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ethreal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, as my post count gives away I'm new to the forum and pretty new to marines. I would be very grateful for any help on identification...

I noticed today a suspicious something growing close to my mushrooms. It is around 3-4mm tall and I hope the picture is clear enough for you to see.

Its the polyp/anenome type thingie in the centre of the picture - many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 165
Looks like a feather duster in the pic. Google those and see if they are familiar. They are good for your tank

Thanks for the quick response Maya - I followed your advice and it looks more like a feather duster than it does anything else I looked for (my initial fear was Aiptasia).

I will do some more digging around and keep my eye on the new 'pet'.

Last edited:
How lucky am I? Seems there are two of these lovely little things which must have been hiding out on something I brought home from the lfs - also something else has sprung up....... I'm hoping it is some kind of button polyp - what do you guys thing? (The little green/brown things in the middle of the shot)

Attachments

• IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 146
Yeah, it's a feather duster and a couple of zoas. The zoas are a pretty good score on the live rock.

Be careful with the Zoas, they can be hard on you if you have a cut on your hand. Otherwise their sting will not penetrate skin. But they are toxic as heck to humans.

Huge thanks for the informative responses - really great to have all you experienced people sharing your knowledge x x x

RIP my lovely (if extremely tiny) feather duster who lost his feathers in the mouth of my greedy flame angel - a fly by nibble and he is gone :(

RIP my lovely (if extremely tiny) feather duster who lost his feathers in the mouth of my greedy flame angel - a fly by nibble and he is gone :(

No worries. Feather dusters are common in SW tanks and more will pop up. I have hundreds of them. Flame Angels, well just about all angels have a 50/50 shot at nipping at polyps of corals. I never heard of one taking a feather duster though. Like I said though, don't take it too hard. They are a dime a dozen. Just don't go purchasing any due to your flame.

Back
Top Bottom