ID of SPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my friend gave me this frag. it seems happy. i have it at the top of the tank. about about 5 inches under the lights. i just dont know what it is

thanks
steve r

the fleshy part looks kind like my horn coral.... am I wrong here guys????

Looks like an orange Montipora digitata that's browned up a bit.

Cheers
Steve

probably a montipora then. any reason it is brown? i have only had it for a day. it didnt have the polyps out in his tank. it did with in an hour in my tank. maybe his water was a little off

steve r

Daytime polyps are actually a "captive care" occurance. They generally only come out at night in the wild. It's not something you should look upon as good or bad.

As far as the color, brown simpley means not enough light or the wrong kind of light. With your set up, try placing it midway or higher someplace in the center area of the tank in an area where the bulbs overlap.

Cheers
Steve

good info. i know i am stretching a bit keeping a SPS under my light. it is currently as high as it can go. about 2 inches under the water. which is about 4 inches under the light. i am going to try to move to the center

thanks again
steve r

Back
Top Bottom