ID on a few strange things.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys!

I have a few wierd things in my tank and would like to know what they are:

Image 1 - The Green Anemone Thing.
I have had it for nearly a year now and only in the past week have 2 more popped up next to it. Retracts when touched in the same way the Paly's next to it do. I've asked about this things a few times over the past 8 months with no solid ID.

Image 2 - A Coral Frag I was given by a Friend. Can someone ID?

Image 3 - A few of these started to show up about 3 weeks ago. they look like a bunch of little egg sacks. though they seem to shrink sometimes and expand other times. At the moment they are expanded. These ones are white but I have a couple of purple ones to. thoughts?

Image 4 - Lastly. I bought this leather toadstool about 2 months ago and I though that the bit at the bottom of it was part of it aswell. Is it a seperate finger leather coral?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Anemone.jpg
    Anemone.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 163
  • Mystery Coral.jpg
    Mystery Coral.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 160
  • Mystery stuff.jpg
    Mystery stuff.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Finger Leather Coral.jpg
    Finger Leather Coral.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 165
+ 1 on star polyp....

Pic one may be some type of zoo..
Or
Some sort of aptasia/ majano
Hard to see

I dont think pic 1 is a Zoa. I thought that myself for a while. But it behaves like an anemone, it retracts into the rock when threatened etc. Seems totally hamrless and hasn't done alot of spreading and I've had it for nearly a year

majano nem
Star polyp, if not green possibly jasmine
Third could be a couple of things...some mroe info on it would be nice. Could be anything from a sea slug to a sponge.
Fourth is a sponge.

Thanks Sniper,

I've done a bit of looking around and I think I've nailed 3 of them

1. Majo Nem
2. Green Star Polyp
3. ??? Still ot sure
4. I'm sure it's a finger leather. looks and behaves just like one.

The 3rd un indentified thing isnt a see slug, It never moves. but it DOES kinda shrink up at times. So, I'm guessing its a type of sponge. There are a bout 7 in the tank and some are only 5mm long with the biggest one (which is the one in picture) is about 2cm. Some are white, some are purple and some are pink.

That's all I've got for ya!! :)

Thanks guys.

Still unsure on the third. Looked at it on my comp rather than my phone and didn't help out any... Keep an eye on it. It really looks like a nudibranch that hitchhiked into my tank on some blue symphodium. Didn't move for over a week and looked exactly like the symphodium.

The 4th is either a finger leather or a really unhappy colt/kenya tree. Hard to really tell the difference when they are like that. Either way it will prob need moved out from under that mushroom leather so it can do well and not have a change to try to go toxic to kill the mushroom so it can thrive.

Thanks for the feedback. I'mm 99.9% sure its not a nudibranch. There are a few of them in my tank showing up randomly but never move, I found a bright purple one last night. I will try get some photos of the others.

Interesting through on my mystery coral. I will deffinatley try and seperate if from the rock the mushroom leather came on and put it somewhere else.

Cheers

The pic one is a type of mushroomcoral, the last pic is a type of acropora, or at least looks like it. Is it hard?

Thanks for the reply.

Im conviced the thing in the first pitcure is an anemone of some sort. I'm sure its not a mushroom coral. But I can't get a positive ID on anything I search. The closest thing I can find that looks like it a green flower anemone. Anyhow, I'm not taking it out just yet. I'ts been there for nearly a year and I have only JUST seen 2 more pop up next to it. Gonna wait a little longer.

The thing in last picture isn't hard. Its soft and when I touch it it shrinks to about half it's size. So I'm guessing some sort of sponge. I'll keep my eye on them and see what they do.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom