ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boykin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have no idea what this thing is, I spoted hime a few nights ago after dark (which is the only time he comes out) He came in with the rock... I'm unsure what kind of rock this is. any links or names as to what this might would be great! :D

Thanks,
Amanda

Attachments

• slug_103.jpg
    slug_103.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 41
you know what I guess it could be one of those.... it doesnt look like ithas a hard shell or anything but hes very small... i will keep doing research... are they good or bad? do you know?

Probably a nudibranch of some sort - especially if it reminds you of a slug. If you have corals, it could be a problem as some like to munch on coral polyps. From what I understand though, nudibranches are fairly specialized feeders and if you don't stumble across exactly what it is that it likes to eat, they'll die of starvation. So I'm guessing your hitchhiker might not be around too long. Perhaps a snail/slug expert can chime in!

It is a chiton, MT79 was right on. What you have there is an awesome film algae consumer and a great addition to your tank. If all hitchhikers were so nice. :)

I looked at all these links because I have something V-E-R-Y similar in my tank. I keep coral polys too - so I was worried. But I don't think it is a chiton because there is no armour or shell at all. I thought it was a nudibanch but they all seem to be very colorful. Luckily whatever I have doesn't seem to be interested in eating my coral.

My creature is patterned exactly like Amanda's - but it is black, white and grey. But I've seen him scoot up to polyps and raise his little slug head and sniff around with antannae and then turn away. He sniffed at three different polyps in a row and moved away.

Maybe he is a type of nudibranch that just doesn't like my food... ?

yeah I havent got to see all of mine he will come out of a hole and when I try to get a good look with the lights on he goes back in real fast....

Back
Top Bottom