ID please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I feed the tank today & noticed this guy sneaking out of the rock...Pretty sure its a peanut worm, but I just wanted to make sure. Then some type of macro that is only growing on one rock. Its in a medium flow area, but its growing in the light & the shadows.

Seriously should have read the forum a little more in depth because people have posted with these exact same questions. My bad guys! So in the mean time, enjoy the pictures! :)

Attachments

• 000_0397_152.jpg
    000_0397_152.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 000_0406_210.jpg
    000_0406_210.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 36
Fist one is def. a peanut worm. I have a couple of those guys too...harmless and beneficial.

I agree with Micah on the caterpillar weed (Neomeris annulata). Not sure if you are referring to the black thing or the macro in the second shot. If it's the black thing assumed to be a worm, it's possible it could be a peanut worm. If you are referring to the green macro, it is Caulerpa taxifolia, a very invasive macro.

Well, turns out the post wasn't completely useless :) Thanks for the IDs. I am sure its a peanut worm now. And Fluff, thanks so much for the ID on the Caulerpa,. It wasn't my intention to have is ID, but I guess it worked out for the best. When it started sprouting I knew it was Caulerpa, but had no idea it was invasive. Thanks. Questions though -

My snails & hermits are munching on it, and keeping it well trimmed & under control. It's not growing faster than it can be consumed. Also, after doing a quick search on the internet, I do remember seeing something about the invasiveness of it in the ocean on a TV special. If it is going to become a problem, how do I dispose of it, without introducing it into the ecosystem? Any ideas? Is this a wait & see since right now its under control? I can't seem to find a website about the results of it in an aquarium, any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom