Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ID Please..brown stuff

I returned home from work to find some brown algae type stuff had developed on my live rock and sand bed.

This is a 55 gallon FOWLR system that I bought and recently transferred to my house. I replaced the existing sand with new aragonite sand and put a small layer of existing sand over it.

Here's a pic of the brown gunk

http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_4479.jpg

Can anyone id that? Good / Bad...any corrective action need to be taken?

Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 5 - 10 ppm
pH = 8.4

Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I have some of the same stuff in my tank. It appears to be algae but idk. My tank is cycling

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If its a new tank it is part of the cycle and as long as you are not over feeding and doing proper maintance it should go away
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just normal diatoms ... common in new tanks ... when our tanks are new they have many diffrent types of things happen with in the one major cycle ...there are many nutrients available ... you can siphion this stuff off and turn your lights out while cycling ...it is common and will burn out in short order (usually 3 months time )
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to the SW ID forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #6

I sure hope it's a mini-cycle and won't cause any harm to the existing inhabitants.

This was a fully setup system I bought. It had been running for approx 3 years so I have a Blue Tang, Mandrin Goby, Angelfish, Pajama Cardinal, and damsel that came with it.

I transferred it to my house 4 days ago. I kept all the live rock submerged, but pitched the existing sandbed except for a small layer I put on top of the new sand.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It should die off in short order by moving stuff around you stirred up some things ... when you added your new sand it did not have the bacteria in it so it will bloom to feed those ... it should burn out in short order just siphion it off , limit your nutrients IE feeding and lighting and they should be gone with in 3 months or less , should be much less than 3 months since the tank is older ....It will NOT hurt the fish ... I just had an outbreak of this stuff a few months ago and it was a tank that was up for 4 years ,, it burned out in about 3 weeks ... I just adjusted the lighting and the feeding (did not feed fish for 10 days ) and increased h20 changes to 30% weekly , as well as siphioning it off .... You may well see another out break as things settle down again ... it is normal and wont hurt the fish HTH
Old 06-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

definately diatoms ,they will dissapear as quickly as they came,just make sure you use ro/di water for your make up and PWC
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #9

I have been having the same problems...I have had it for months...on the sand bed, walls etc...where it comes back within a day of cleaining/siphoning. I have cut back to 4hrs on 4hrs off then 4 more hrs on lighting...I have 4 fish, coral and zoa's/paly's and a large star fish...I cut back feedings too. I feed once a day a very small ammount. I am at my wits end with this junk. My frogspawn has it on it too...a brown tinge. I just replaced my complete sand bed and still have it. like I said it has been going on for months in a tank that has been established for 3 years. If this is diatoms, why aren't they going away?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonFaas View Post
I have been having the same problems...I have had it for months...on the sand bed, walls etc...where it comes back within a day of cleaining/siphoning. I have cut back to 4hrs on 4hrs off then 4 more hrs on lighting...I have 4 fish, coral and zoa's/paly's and a large star fish...I cut back feedings too. I feed once a day a very small ammount. I am at my wits end with this junk. My frogspawn has it on it too...a brown tinge. I just replaced my complete sand bed and still have it. like I said it has been going on for months in a tank that has been established for 3 years. If this is diatoms, why aren't they going away?
Research dinoflaagellates AKA dinos this stuff is hard to deal with and can cause you to rip your hair out ... I had this junk and believe me you have to be agressive ... keep your lights in tune (changed like clock work ) Increase H20 change , check your perameters check your kits to make sure they are with in useable time (about 6 months after opening them they will expire) check your water source , cut back feedings to 2 times a week and also what salts are you useing ? What are you feeding ... frozen or pelleted or combined ? Shorten your lighting to 6 hours a day not split schedule this will not help , Then slowly bring it to 8 to 10 hours ...I found mine fuled with IO but with RC not so much ... I did 2 x a week water changes at 30% each time , went to RO/DI h20 insted of distilled ,and dismantled the tank scrubbed and rinsed out the LR as well it took me nearly a year to conqure this crap but I did ... I still stay on top of stuff or I could get it back but I have not seen it in a few months whew !!
Diatoms and dinos look similar but the dinos will have bubbles and be stringy and seem to reappear in hours , dinos also will cover every thing in its path but diatoms not so much , rarely will it cover the rocks ..... give it time if it is diatoms something fuled it look for the source ... HTH sadie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com