ID please, looks almost like a crab pincher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unity

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Found this in a friends tank. Tried searching, but without a good starting point its hard for me to identify it. Sorry for the poor picture and child-like drawing. :) Its about 1 centimeter tall. It opens within seconds to what appears to be a jaw with teeth. But as you see, it only opens partially unlike a clam, oyster, etc. The lower part is concave, this also acts as part of the hinge. As it opens this area becomes more concave. Above and along the edge appear to be thick short white whisker like attachments. If disturbed by a brush or sudden light, it closes its "mouth". At the same time it closes against the rock face. The "shell" is very clean. But we have not tried to see if its soft or hard material. Any help is appreciated!

Next time I visit, and assuming it has not moved, I will use my 100mm macro lens to get a better picture (used iPhone with zoom this time).

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 172
I will be heading down next week it seems. Friend is going on vacation so I will check on tank and his dog. Will grab some better pics and video then - assuming it has not moved.

Is there a clam with "teeth" that can help narrow the search?

Videos will be up soon too via YouTube. Unlike any clam I have seen, this thing actually shifts around a little.

These are rock boring clams. They actually dig their way in the rock and live out their lives in it.

Thanks Mr_X. Think I finally found an image match too. Top center of this chart.

Attachments

• 424px-Haeckel_Acephala.jpg
    424px-Haeckel_Acephala.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom