Id plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found little star fish is it good or bad?

Attachments

• image-115848092.jpg
    image-115848092.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 154
Asterina starfish. No major threat. Really only becomes an issue in a large population. I just keep them in my tank.

I've never ever seen them munch my corals but some people say they have, but I can only vouch for my experience.....

I would leave it alone though, I enjoy catching a peek at them on occassion, always brings a smile to my face. lol They are so small and cute! :)

I have observed them eating coraline algae. Initially it bothered me, but I have too much now anyway, so...whatever.

But yesterday I came home to find my frogspawn on the sand. I think the blenny had been nipping at algae and knocked it off. When I picked it up, 2 of the branches broke off. I checked them out, and they were very very thin at the base of the old branches. I think the asterina stars may have munched on the calcium carbonate from the old dead part of the stocks. It didn't hurt the actual coral, it just fragged it for me. I'm actually gonna post this 3 head frag now, so I guess a thank you may be in order?
But this short story is just to say, I have seen them eat coraline algae and I think they will eat the stony dead part of some corals.

Thanks will keep eye on them but ain't got much corals yet just few free bits on rock.

notice how many arms are growing my guess would be either a baby serpent star or a brittle star both have 7 fingers there both a good part of your clean up crew , when small they can be confused with Asterina stars they have 5 fingers , they can become pests as they multiply fast some get a taste for zoa's so it's a 50/50 on good or bad
attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom