ID plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okedoky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1484002884188.jpg thanks, just bought this and weekend help at store did not know what it was, looking to figure out care, location, etc

It appears to be an open brain coral, which is an LPS coral. It looks pretty upset.
I'd recommend doing research before making purchases as it might not do well in your system.
Can we know more about your system?

Looks kind of like a Trachyphyllia , what kind of lighting do you have , and like hank mentioned tell us a little about your system and how old is it

Last edited:
Yep, unhappy, that's why I'm reaching out.

75gal with 20 gal sump, skimmer, three fish, sailfin, six line wrasse and Ben cardinal, I had a recent problem with sinularia leathers killing other corals so I removed them and let the tank go for 3 mo before adding anything. LED lights. I moved the brain coral off the rock to a low flow area after reading, also have only been feeding a couple times a week so I will ramp that up

What kind of LED lights? Not all are created equal, but are very effective at penetrating water better than traditional bulbed units. This will have a drastic impact on where it should be in your system.

Marineland brand, it says 1watt at 6500k and 3 watt at rgb...thanks for the advice

If that is the case, I would want any LPS coral to be up at the top of the tank. Those lights provide little in terms of our photosynthetic corals' needs.

If that is the case, I would want any LPS coral to be up at the top of the tank. Those lights provide little in terms of our photosynthetic corals' needs.
I have been considering adding more lighting, suggestions?

Well, we normally recommend the taotronics style of chinese knock off panels. You could check out bulkreefsupply or marinedepot to find something that suits your needs.

Back
Top Bottom