id resources needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

ok so i bought some live rock at a local shop and i have a few hitchhickers. they a round in shape and and range in size from pin size to the size of a nickel. Some of them have a visible foot but others look like they lay flat like mushrooms. as far as color they are mainly brown but some of thier bodys a stripped with white. I would love to take pictures of them but my camera will not zoom in that close and give me a decent picture. so i was wonder i you guys had any suggestions or resources that i could compare them it would be really helpful

Thanks guys
Ben

OK so heres what i found on the link about hitchickers that you provided. i think that it is a pavona spp.. It looks exactly like that except for it has rings of brown and whit around them if you want to see what follow the link and look under coral/polyps and then find the pavona spp. so i was wondering if these are good or bad?

ok thats the way that they are shaped along with the brown color. this is the only thing that looks like what i have should i just go ahead and get rid of it?

okay guys i barrowed a nieghbors camera and here are some pictures there still not the greatest pictures but i hope that the will work.

Attachments

• DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00035.jpg
    DSC00035.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00034.jpg
    DSC00034.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00036.jpg
    DSC00036.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 68
It looks a little like a majano anemone it is something I am battling in one of my tanks now.

It's a little hard to tell by those pictures. Could be majano or aiptasia or it could be a mini featherduster.

Even with the fuzzy pictures, majano came to my mind too. Can't tell with the pictures, but the descriptions about a "foot" and it being brown was kind of leading me in that direction.

Do a Google Image Search on "majano anemone" and see if those pictures look like what you have...

I did go and look at the picture in the ID link for the Pavona - I'll tell ya, that's one funky Pavona if that's what it truly is. I think the picture is really zoomed in, and those polyps are way smaller than they appear. Like I said, Pavona is an SPS coral and is not going to have anything that even remotely appears to be a "foot". And it's definitely not going to still be a single polyp the size you're showing in your picture. But I can see where the confusion would come from with that picture on the ID site.

as far as majano anemones I haven't found anything that looks remotely close to what these things look like. now as far as aiptasia i have thought about that to but i have never seen any aiptasia that looks like these do. all the aiptasia i have ever seen on have like ten or fifteen tenicals along its outer ring. This stuff has tenicals around the outer egde along with more tenticals in the center. They as far as the shape of the tenicals themselves they aren't that long but the are more rounded at the tips instead of being pointed like aiptasia is. im not sure i think that i'm just going to get rid of them this weekend. I just dont want to have something take over my tank. what do you guys think???

If it's not a majano, then try looking at pictures of Ricordea Yuma mushrooms. They are also brownish, with a foot, and elongated "bumps" that kind of look like tentacles. Does it have an obvious single "mouth" in the middle of the poly?

benni, try taking a picture a little futher away so that your camera can focus better. We can always zoom in on it to get a closer look. That way it won't be so blurry.

yeah i does have definate mouth on them i looked at ricordea yuma mushrooms and they do look like those but the tenticals are alot long than any of the picture show.

Have you poked it?
I find that anemone will turn into a ball almost instantly.

EN GARDE!!!

Hehe have fun. :)
A piece of advice - If the piece of LR it's attached to is only small just throw the rock as well. It will save you a tonne of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom