ID This Puffer Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found this guy at the LFS and want to know what kind he is and what tank size is suitable for him? I've heard of smaller dwarf puffers being able to go into 30 G?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417464126.581360.jpg

The LFS said he was a "Toby" but that was all the information they could give me. (I have not bought this fish - want to know about it first)

Blue spot puffer, also called blue Toby's I believe. A 30 would be a little on the small side for them though, puffers tend to be a little messy and would probably about max out your bio load on a 30 by it self IMO. It will also pick on any inverts you have/plan on having

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Blue spot puffer, also called blue Toby's I believe. A 30 would be a little on the small side for them though, puffers tend to be a little messy and would probably about max out your bio load on a 30 by it self IMO. It will also pick on any inverts you have/plan on having

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still standing in the LFS looking at him lol! He's pretty but I don't want to max out my bio load. Just thought my bf might find him cool. :)

There are several very similar species in Canthigaster (sharpnose puffers or tobys) with this kind of coloration. I can't really tell which one you have without seeing the tail. If you could post a photo showing the tail, I should be able to get it to species.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom