Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
identify a fish

the other day i saw this fish that looked like a blenny at the lfs and it was taking mouthfuls of sand in its mouth and passing it through its gills. any idea what it was? i forgot to ask the guy and now i'm curious. thanks

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I belive there are a few fish that do this, however for the most part they are not recommended unless your tank is large. Most sand sifting animals such as this will eat all the food in the sandbed including benefical organisms and then starve to death over time.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

In our smaller tank we have had 2 such fish they were orange spotted gobies one died after our cow fish decided to poison the tank, the other is doing fine and eats frozen brineshrimp,bloodworms and seaweed.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

sand sifting goby of some sort, with colors and descriptions of the fishes body, might be able to be a little more specific.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
Wooooh belinda! i thought i was the only one. Yrs ago i lost my entire tank because my cow fish decided to go crazy, sorry to hear about the loss though, but i am glad i am not the only one. Even people at my LFS 'doubted' my claim. It was really upsetting 2yrs worth of work down the drain, he was the last addition to the tank, in more ways than one.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to notmuffy
If it was bigger than a blenny, you probably were seeing a Mother Sailfin Dragonet. Ours was mislabled and mixed in with scooter blennies at the LFS, the one difference being that they are harder to feed. We bought him because we had a huge over-population of 'pods, but he wiped them out in like 3-4 days! We have him eating live brine shrimp now, but he wouldn't take them until he was really hungry. Now we are trying to switch him to frozen krill but he's not taking that yet.
They prefer a deep sand bed for sifting and burying themselves completely at night.

Tags
identify

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com