Identify Hitchhiker on Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenzo9999

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey All,

New to this and I am setting up a 90 gallon reef tank. Been curing rock since Christmas (~35 lbs LR from LFS and ~75 lbs Dry Rock).

I noticed my first hitchhikers - some black/red bristle worms and this organism that I am not sure of what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Someone said button polyps, others Majano. Both said remove immediately.
Another said it is a zoa or paly that's cupped itself. And just to keep an eye on it.

Anyone sure? Don't want to kill if it is cool - It was exciting to see

Attachments

• DSC04659.jpg
    DSC04659.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC04658.jpg
    DSC04658.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC04662.jpg
    DSC04662.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 196
NO idea...but its cool looking right now. Hopefully it wont be bad later.

Looks like some kind of polyp. Possibly zoanthid or palythoa or a button polyp. Still too small to be certain about it. But the way its opening leans towards a button polyp IMO. Definitely not a mojano that I can tell ya

Yea, it'll be just fine. Keep us posted! I'm curious as well too see what color it's going to be :)

It seems to be stable and there is no change in size or any multiplication. In the moon light it cups more in the daylight it opens up more.

Anyone else have an example of this organism and their experiences?

View attachment 145522

Palythoa in my opinion I have quite a few of them in my system. I am also looking forward to see how it looks when it fully matures. Mine when first budding start pinkish purple and then as they get larger there stingers turn a bright green. I also have some white ones sixth green mouths and green with a single white stripe running from mouth to skirt

Attachments

• image-3890266910.jpg
    image-3890266910.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 139
Wow - that looks beautiful.

I hope that is what I have.

Are there any special feeding requirements?

Mine like brine shrimp like 1 time a week. At most 2 shrimp per mouth. And they are sensitive so u almost have to let the food fall on them rather then squirting it at them.

Back
Top Bottom