Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Identify PLEASE!!!

Sorry I do not have a photo. About a month ago i found a white fuzzy crab dead on one of my LR , called LPS said was not a crab , called another LPS they said oh no its just a molting ????. but hey it was dead so I did not panic. I removed from tank throughly looked it over it was not a molting. Well its twin is well and alive in my tank. I found it last night while harassing my nocturnal beasts. It was setting on top of one of my LR, when the light hit it it vanished into rock. It is solid white with black pinchers(claws) whatever they are, It's about the size of a half dollar and sort of flat. Seems to have no shell. Now iamb panicked. Is this good or bad. If its bad how do I catch it. Thanks for any help .

Old 02-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
steve-s

Without a pic, this will be more guessing than anything. Given your description though, I would be inclined to think either a porcelain or acropora crab if you are sure of the coloration. Did you get a good enough look to tell what the general carapace shape was other than flat?

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Steve thank you for replying. In my search this morning I have found a photo which could be a twin to my crab at the following website. Seems a little strange though I can not find info about what to do if this is in my tank lol. I guess need to look some more. www.vibrantsea.net/invertebrates3.html. Hope this site helps some one else too.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

OOPS! Sorry all name of crab is a Pea Crab. (Dissodactylus primitives)
Old 02-10-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
steve-s

Interesting site but the size you've stated your mystery crabs to be (about the size of a half dollar), I don't think it will be a pea crab. It also does not have black pincers. They are actually quite small and do not get to even an inch in carapace width as far as I know.... Sorry

Try looking through <<these images>> to see if there is a similar match.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-12-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks Steve. You are correct it is larger than a pea crab but the shape is so close. I will continue to look thanks.

Tags
identify

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com