IDENTIFY PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelskii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i bought this rock for $70 with all the frags attached to it already...should i remove them and place them in different places?

img_780877_0_6311d64c79c3fae97f72c7a1f8c306f1.jpg

If you decide to frag them, I'd move the mushrooms.

1. mushroom
2. sand polyps or zoos
3. need a better pic
4-5. mushrooms, maybe ricordia. need clearer pic
6 looks like it could be ricordia
7 mushroom
8 mushroom

Looking at #3, it looks like it could be a fuzzy mushroom or maybe a soft coral? Can you manipulate the rock to get a clearer picture?

4 and 5 are definately ricordia, 6 likely is, and 8 looks like a blue colored ricordia (could tell with clearer pic, but I think I do see little armatures coming off of the disc), which isnt as common as the green ones you have on the rock as well.

6 could be somethig entirely differant though, hard to tell in this pic

I would seperate them if you can, allow room for splitting and growing, the ricordia can measure up to 3 inches across with the lights on if in the proper low flow area of the tank, and I would imagine the mushroom 1 would get at least as large as well

Hey... that thing looks very familiar! Did you happen to get it off the "what you see is what you get" part of LiveAquaria? If so, were all those guys just individuals that were puttied onto a bigger rock? I was wondering about that when I saw it... assuming its the rock I'm thinking of.

I agree w/ Fluff about the mushrooms. Those corals are all going to go to battle w/ each other as they grow. The zoos will most likely out compete all the others for space eventually, if not moved.

thanks for all the help...when i try to separate them..shud i do it in the tank or out of the tank? lol

When I fragged my corals I had them out of the water for about 10 minutes while I cut them. They`ll be OK for a small amount of time.

It is best to do outside the water. It gives you more control and they are gonna slime some. It's a good idea to have a bowl of tank water set aside to put them in, kinda as a rinse, before adding them back to the tank.

i break them off the peice of rock that theyre on right?

You are just moving the mushrooms and ricordia? If so, I'd use a knife or chisel and scrape them from the rock. Be sure to take a bit of rock along with it. This will make it much easier to glue down elsewhere. The rock is softer than you'd imagine and scrapes off easily.

Back
Top Bottom