Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Improperly Labeled Fish at LFS

I went to the LFS and saw a fish that piqued my interest to say the least. It was labeled a "Curious Worm Blenny." It didn't look anything like a traditional blenny to me, though. It was long, very thin (almost like a pipefish) and brightly colored. It had an orange stripe going from head to tail on either side. They had a few of them and I'd guess them to be about 2.5 inches long or so.

Can anyone tell me what this fish is, how hardy they are, what they are and are not compatible with, etc? I have an opening in my tank that is screaming for these guys. They are SO cool looking.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well if this is the fish, it's actually a Goby not a blenny.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Spec...sname=curiosus

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
That be the fish!

It says on that web page that they eat crustaceans. Does that mean my hermits and emeralds and such would be in danger? Or do they eat smaller crustaceans than that?

Also, how large do they get?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great detective work Salt!!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:23 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
It says on that web page that they eat crustaceans. Does that mean my hermits and emeralds and such would be in danger? Or do they eat smaller crustaceans than that?
It actually uses the term pelagic crustaceans which would refer to copepods, amphipods and the like. As such, they are not a very good fish purchase for a community tank unless kept with equally delicate species like seahorses. They can also be rather touchy and if frightend too often will quit eating as well.

Quote:
Also, how large do they get?
About 4"

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-11-2003, 01:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL thanks Jks, I got lucky, thank goodness for Yahoo

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com