Is this a bad creature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought some new live rock, and some snails, and noticed this on the back of my tank. I'm planning on having a reef tank, so is this something I should get rid of or is it ok?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410658110.897298.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can never really tell with starfish. You just have to find out the hard way if they have a good or bad personality. I honestly don't trust them because I always have bad experiences with them.

Been doin this for almost a decade without an issue from starfish. Likely harmless.

I have hundreds if not thousands in my sump and display, some call them a nuisance some call them awesome, I for one love them...most are harmless other than the black ones.

It is an Asterina starfish. Like said, are harmless, and will eat stuff off your glass. They can reproduce quickly. Some people remove them, some people let them be.

if there white with either 6 or 7 legs they are safe

5 legs black or gray ones are bad these guys eat zoas

Actually, no matter how many legs or what color your asterina star comes in, they are generally reef safe, but can become carnivorous. I keep them because I only saw them behave negatively once, and they are pretty easy to pick off of things if so. Not a serious problem in my experience. Mostly, not a problem at all. I vote to keep it.

I vote yes :) I have about 12 of them in my 10gal. They have been proven zoa, mushroom and duncan coral safe in my tank. Anyway, it's ultimately your choice.

Why do people say they are so bad then? I just found four in my tank in less than 24 hours

No human opinion is unbiased. So, those who think them bad have had seemingly fitting experiences which made them think they were bad. Conversely, the same idea can be applied to those who think them good.

Though I will admit, they will populate your tank rather quickly. Until they get to a certain number, then they'll plateau. :)

Why do people say they are so bad then? I just found four in my tank in less than 24 hours

Things get a bad wrap when something bad happens that upsets someone. Think about how some people look at pitbulls as mean, aggressive dogs that can harm you. I can put my black lab/husky mix infront of the same person and that opinion wouldn't be there...but she still could take someone's arm off if she chose too.
Now here we are with your little astera starfish. There have been accounts of large groups of them going postal, but are few. It makes people gun-shy. Unfortunately, we don't know all of the conditions around this. Maybe they ran out of food to eat and were starving. Maybe the coral was dying. Lots of unknowns, but some just rather be safe than sorry. I don't blame them, as coral can be very expensive at times...but I have these guys in my tank without issue.

Actually, no matter how many legs or what color your asterina star comes in, they are generally reef safe, but can become carnivorous. I keep them because I only saw them behave negatively once, and they are pretty easy to pick off of things if so. Not a serious problem in my experience. Mostly, not a problem at all. I vote to keep it.

Agreed! I have a bunch that came in with a piece of dried coral from Okinawa. The things must have hatched after being put back in the tank. I have never had a problem with them (Mine have anywhere from 3 to 8 arms). I would keep them unless you see one actively eating on your corals.

They come off live rock just like bristleworms, and snails. I have them in my tank, they eat algae and stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom