Is this a blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks

Thank you for your prompt answer,checked on internet and found pics that look the same,lawnmower blenny it is,caught him two weeks ago and had him in quarantine tank till yesterday,settled into main tank great

No, it's not a lawnmower blenny. It's Parablennius intermedius ... called horned blenny in Australia. They do well in tanks, but can be a bit on the aggressive side. There are a number of more suitable blennies in your area. Check out the oyster blenny (Omobranchus anolius) on Google - they are common around oyster-covered rocks. This time of year you should be seeing juvenile tropical species in your area too, such as butterflyfishes (Chaetodon and Heniochus species mostly), various damsels, wrasses (Halichoeres, Stethojulis, Thalassoma, Coris, among others).

Tony

I meant to include some advice on field gudes for NSW fishes. I don't know of any comprehensive books out there - Rudie Kuiter has a nice book on south-eastern Australia marine fishes, but I suspect it is no longer in print. Mark McGrouther maintains the Australian Museum Ichthyology site, which has a lot of good information and photos of local species. There is also an ongoing effort involving various Australian Ichhtyogists to produce an atlas of Australian fishes, but it is a long way off being made public. You should also check out Dave Harasti maintains a site on fishes of Nelson Bay (Fish Species of Nelson Bay - Page One), which should have most things you a likely to find in Harrington. And, of course, I am happy to identify anything you post on this forum. I've collected along much of the NSW coast off and on over the past 40 years, and know the small reef species as well as anyone.

Tony

blenny id

My thanks to you Tony,will try to chase up them books,did you by any chance see the pics i posted bout the wrasse i have in my tank,still havnt got a positive id on it

No problem. Re. the wrasse: I had already responded. It's a Gunther's wrasse (Pseudolabrus guentheri). It's not the greatest in an aquarium: bit on the aggressive side, and the colours tend to fade a bit. You can check out photos on this site: Diving The Gold Coast. As you can see, they are a bit variable. I am certain this is your species, though.

Tony

thanks

Thanks again Tony,i didnt realise i had read your responce to the wrasse question lol,your right about him losing his colour,had him in a tank of his own for the last 4 days,he seemed to be stressed when i put the 2 stripey's in the tank,and something nipped a bit out of his right side fin,making him list a bit,put him back in main tank yesterday and seems to be quite happy,even got some colour back

Back
Top Bottom