Is this a Bristle worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny E

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is this a Bristle Worn? When my clowns get close it sprays some kind of white stuff. It is the orange think in middle of the picture.
worm3.jpg[img]

Thanks James and yaksplat, I'm new to this board and sw aquariums.

And by the looks of it a type of bearded fireworm to boot. 8O

Cheers
Steve

Thanks guys, Is a bearded fireworm a good thing or bad? Should I get it out of the tank?

If truely a bearded fireworm (Hermodice carunculata), it will be a concern with most sessile and mobile inverts. Be very careful if you choose to remove it. A baited trap consisting of a new nylon stocking would be the safest for you. Never touch them or you will end up with a severe reaction and possible infection.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,
I have been reading up on the fireworms. I think it is a fireworm too. Could I soak the rock in freah water until the worm comes out and it not hurt the live rock?

Johnny E said:
Could I soak the rock in freah water until the worm comes out and it not hurt the live rock?
You could but it would be alot easier to use the nylon I suggested. All you need do is cut a small piece and wrap in a small piece of shrimp. Tie both ends and place the "trap" near the worm. The nylon will entangle the worms setae and cause it to become trapped. You can then remove the worm without any real hassle or danger to yourself.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom