Is this a free bonus coral or a pest?? Need help with ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJMS86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi...all
Please...I just needed some help with ID of this "green button" looking thing on my newly acquired blue xenia coral liverock. Can anyone tell me if it is a coral or a pest?? I looked for days on the web and couldn't find anything that looks exactly like it...so I need help! (Pictured at the center of picture below. It has a fleshy beige/brown ring on the outside with a green ring and then the inner ring is the same fleshy beige/brown with a teeny slit mouth...there may also be tentacle things, but it is very hard to see)
Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

Trying the picture again...sorry!

Here is my second try attaching the picture (sorry I'm not so great at tech things)

Attachments

• 2012-04-16_09.52.30.jpg
    2012-04-16_09.52.30.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 290
Looks like it could be an Umbrella mushroom, shrunk down some. IMO, it's definitely some type of anemone, mushroom or otherwise.
Can't beat coral hitch-hikers! Congrats :)

I personally haven't seen a mushroom that looks like that...but it is either a nem I have never encountered or, like mentioned, it could be a very unhappy button coral. It does look like a button coral, but it looks like it is lacking a skeleton so I would lean more towards the nem.

I had what was sold to me as an Umbrella mushroom once that never really did too well that resembled this, but maybe a Rock anemone?

This is either a green rhodactis mushroom or maxi-mini carpet! Thats a better scrore the the blue anthelia,lol,and although very cool,it will sting and kill the surrounding anthelia as it grows and touches it.

Not sure it is any of the things already listed

Thank you all for your responses!!
However, I don't believe anybody has labeled it correctly yet... it is definitely not a mushroom that I am familiar with, and I have several different types. This little button looking thing is very thick, as opposed to my mushrooms, which are thin.
Also the blue xenia has not seemed to mind it being there, as it is sprouting brand new babies right next to it.
I researched maxi mini carpet.... and it doesn't look like that either.
As long as no one thinks it it anything harmful...I will just keep an eye on it!
Thanks again :)

the scientific name is XEUMLR or xenia umbellata

I just got a frag of it supposed to spread fast (y)

Yes, I am talking about the green button-looking thing near the blue Xenia. (I know what the Xenia is, I bought it!)

looks like a maxi carpet anem. my lfs just got a bunch in.

Back
Top Bottom