Is this a green flower pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelWallace

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My lfs told me this was and I'm for sure it is but I didn't know if they were different species of them. Btw this is my very first coral so any help on how to take care of it and where the best place to place it in my tank would be, on the sand bed or up on the rocks?Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image-484000259.jpg
    image-484000259.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3626819016.jpg
    image-3626819016.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 98
It does look like a flowerpot coral (Goniopora sp). This may not have been a good choice for a first coral. Goniopora are considered rather difficult to keep. I'm not trying to discourage you, just to let you know it's a difficult one. If you want to keep it, I strongly recommend you start doing some research on caring for them. If you decide to return it for some easier corals, I would recommend mushrooms, leathers, and zooanthids for starters. Some LPS corals can be fairly easy to care for, too. I've had good success with a torch, a duncan, bubble, and blastomussa.

Ok thank you, I just seen it in the store and was like, "I got to have it it's so awesome lol". I think I might go trade it back in, I deff dont want to kill it, I might get something that feeds more off of light if theirs such a thing.

Most corals are photosynthetic, just some of them are better at it than others. Most soft corals like the mushrooms, leathers, and zooanthids, don't need any extra feeding as long as they get enough light.
Most LPS corals don't need supplemental feeding, but it will make them healthier and grow faster.

Yeah, button polyps are a good beginner coral. Go wild! Have fun! There're a lot of options out there that aren't difficult to care for.

Forgot to add the pic lol here it is

Attachments

• image-3119303673.jpg
    image-3119303673.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom