Is this cyano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just started noticing this last week! I think it is, so in this case what do I need to do to resolve this problem?

Attachments

• image-891826857.jpg
    image-891826857.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 136
I just read a forum down a few below mine with stuff that looks like mine and they identified it as a coralline algae! I hope this is too! Here's another pic:

image-1618638154.jpg

This is on a separate rock on the other side of my 9 month old 20 gallon reef tank

armyman16 said:
I just read a forum down a few below mine with stuff that looks like mine and they identified it as a coralline algae! I hope this is too! Here's another pic:

This is on a separate rock on the other side of my 9 month old 20 gallon reef tank

You best best is to touch it if ot comes off rock eazy as well is slimy its cryno. If hard Coraline

Okay I'll try that when I get home. Are you leaning towards cyano or coralline?

armyman16 said:
I think it may be cyano ): what do I need to do?

Cut you feedings back problem could be over feeding .. what are u feeding flakes? Frozen? Home blend?

jsmith said:
Cut you feedings back problem could be over feeding .. what are u feeding flakes? Frozen? Home blend?

Also if it's canyo , use a turkey Bastet to suck it up and remove it from the tank

jsmith said:

I Used to feed every night not knowing it was too much. So i just started feeding every other night 2 weeks ago

So how can I get rid of it? Just fix my parameters, what about getting it off all the rocks?

Best way to get it off the rocks is to siphon it out using some small diameter airline tubing. This way it has some suction and you won't lose too much water.

armyman16 said:
So how can I get rid of it? Just fix my parameters, what about getting it off all the rocks?

It is my understanding that "Cyno" is a bacteria, you can clean it off everything all you want but it will continue to return until you correct the problem.

It has been my experience that it mostly appears when phosphates are high, check you water parameters including phosphates and then you should have a better idea where you stand, and what steps are needed to correct the problem.

Minkota said:
It is my understanding that "Cyno" is a bacteria, you can clean it off everything all you want but it will continue to return until you correct the problem.

It has been my experience that it mostly appears when phosphates are high, check you water parameters including phosphates and then you should have a better idea where you stand, and what steps are needed to correct the problem.

+1 canyo is bacteria not algae , referredto as algae since it looks like and grows in the same environment

+1 for phosphates , I've had issues with canyo and It seems if my phosphates get to the .25 mark or if my nitrates go super high like 40 ppm

Back
Top Bottom