Is This Cyno?? (PIC)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I am 4 weeks and 1 day into the qt process. I quit using the copper medicine about a week ago, and I have noticed this build up of....well..I dont know what. Is this good bacteria, or what. I am cleaning the tanks tonight, and I dont want to clean this if it's good. :wink: TIA!!

Actually looks like diatoms for the most part with a hint of cyano. Odd really when you consider the copper med. I guess it just goes to show the claims made by Seachem are true for the most part. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

One more question. The HOB emperor 400 on my maintaink, where the water flows back out into the tank has a hugh build up of brown looking sludge. It's probably about an inch THICK. It's on the part where the water slides down and back into the tank. Should I clean it, or is it good?

Also should I clean the Diatoms on the PVC in the QT?

Thanks! :wink:

Well I got to finish cleaning the tank. Should I remove the diatoms? (Clean the PVC)

Sorry for the late reply! Canada Day yesterday and I was making merry... LOL

revhtree said:
One more question. The HOB emperor 400 on my maintaink, where the water flows back out into the tank has a hugh build up of brown looking sludge. It's probably about an inch THICK. It's on the part where the water slides down and back into the tank. Should I clean it, or is it good?
Clean it. The term sludge is never a good one. Most likely just an accumulation of detritus combined with algae. Make sure you give any media a good rinse in SW as well.

Also should I clean the Diatoms on the PVC in the QT?
I would leave it unless it easily wipes off without disturbing it too much. The PVC is now a greater part of your biofilter and you don't want to upset that. The algae won't really be a concern at all to the fish's health. Make sure nothing from the QT is cleaned with FW.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom