Is this hair algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I think I know the answer, but I want confirmation.

Is this hair algae?

3868167737_c8ac8276f5_b.jpg

And on the glass:
3868948570_3d3ca22815_b.jpg

I currently have 156w of T5HO on for about 8 hours a day, occasionally turning on the other 78w on for less blue (I need to switch some bulbs around...).

I do ~15% water changes once a week. My tank is new. I have only 2 True Percs in their right now.

Will water changes and reducing the lighting take care of it?

not really, hair algae is best removed and maintained my algae eaters. from what I have heard, read and understand, the earlier you catch it the better. it needs light, phosphates, and nitrates to survive. ive read that high flow speeds up the growth also. basically eliminate what it feeds on...problem solved. check this site out for some tips on how to get rid of it, Curing and Control Green Hair Algae in your Saltwater Aquarium - Curing and Control Green Hair Algae in your Saltwater Aquarium

Thanks!

The links helped....and I will follow that 10 step plan. :)

I'm hoping that having my protein skimmer working for the last few days will reduce my nitrates even further. At last test, they were 5. I tested for phosphates last night and they were 0. I was feeding every day because my clowns weren't eating well, but I will cut back to every other day now, making sure I don't put the liquid from the frozen foods in the tank.

I need to get some snails. I don't currently have any. I know its a bandaid, but I was planning on having some anyways. I don't want to do a blackout because of the corals and I have cut back on the light as best as I can. If I can't get it under control I can add a refugium.

Every tank needs some snails anyway. Go ahead and get a good clean up crew. Nothing wrong with that but still find that fuel source.

Back
Top Bottom