Is this magano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
This grew as a hardish red lump with bumps in my old tank but I thought it was a type of coral and it recently came good with the leds in my new tank. Just saw there is another growing next to it and came across "magano" in the coral identification table. Can someone confirm if this is actually magano? It grew up from the rock and took a long time initially to develop. I hadn't bought new LR for months. Thanks

Attachments

• P1020829.jpg
    P1020829.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 125
It looks like a majano anemone to me. Hard to tell for sure though. Need a clearer pic. Hard and anemone don't go together though.

It looks like a majano anemone to me. Hard to tell for sure though. Need a clearer pic. Hard and anemone don't go together though.

thats what stumped me too ...it looks like images I have seen but wouldn't expect an anemone to start off as a hardish substance? Only came across the Magano by chance last night researching my new corals and then realised there is another similar growth on the rock next to it. That's not how they spread ...do they?

I had to pull apart whole tank when an anemone nuked it so maybe this isn't the hard lump I was seeing before if the rocks aren't in the same position- will have to try and find old pics to identify the actual rock. This is a pic from this morning. The main one which is the size of a 5c piece was folded up like an anemone and then started opening. The one next to it is elongated- not circular at all. I need a great camera so I can take these pics when needed:( Doug have you ever removed one? I have seen scissors, blow torches, kalk and Joes juice in you tube videos being used.

Attachments

• P1020848.jpg
    P1020848.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I don't think they are anemones. Have I killed pest anemones? Yes. I like to use kalkwasser, mixed into a thick paste. I use a syringe less the steel tip to administer it. I put some in/on the mouth, and then try to cover the rest of the anemone with more kalk paste when it shrivels up.

I don't think they are anemones. Have I killed pest anemones? Yes. I like to use kalkwasser, mixed into a thick paste. I use a syringe less the steel tip to administer it. I put some in/on the mouth, and then try to cover the rest of the anemone with more kalk paste when it shrivels up.

Thanks I will monitor them closely and update pics as they grow. Will look into those syringe type remedies. Dont feel like buying a blowtorch to add to the marine kit lol

Back
Top Bottom