is this my fish killer? some pics for help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
i noticed my 6 line wrasse was gone then a few days ago i saw a huge crab in my tank. im sure it came in the the 40 pounds of keys rock i got from lr.com. so if someone could help me out should i get rid of this huge crab or keep it? is it a threat to my tank? also, the legs are white and hairy and the eyes are red.

Attachments

• 100_1641.jpg
    100_1641.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 192
  • crab1_104.jpg
    crab1_104.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_1647.jpg
    100_1647.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 191
I can't identify the specific crab, but in general hary crabs are more likely to be predators. Large is also a problem for anything that's not a strict herbavore.

My guess would be yes. That does look like a predatory rock crab. They are hitch hikers and can get very large. I would pull him out and put him in my sump.

Ummmm, cook him up? I bet he is too small for that, but its always an option. I am all for killing preditors that are unwanted in my tank, however others would disagree with me.

My husband and I have one in our tank, he has been there two years. He has never gotten any of my fish. The day he does, he will be back in the ocean. Since you have already lost one, I would recommend getting rid of him (whatever means necessary).

Just a hunch but I feel aquarium crabs are just an extension of Satan. I've had nothing but problems. I hate them, I hate them and I just plain don't like them either.

Dont feel that way. My sally light foot crab is as nice a crab as you could imagine. I do agree give it to someone with a fuge.

It's difficult to tell form the pics but his claws look smooth, and my understanding is that generally means they are not predatory as opposed to a claw with ridges for gripping prey. What else do you have in the tank??

Try and get a closer look at his claws. Generally, dark crabs with alot of hair are predatory but you never know. If he is predatory, take him to the LFS and see if they can find him a home, or donate to a reefer buddy to put in his sump

fishdoc said:
Why do you put them in the sump?
A) Keeps them away from fish you don't want killed.
B) May perform cleaning functions in the sump.
C) More humane than killing the predatory animal.

Back
Top Bottom