is this Red Algae and what is it doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbotec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my fish tank a week ago. It was already set up for 2 years when I got it, and so far loving it. Per instructions of the previous owner I was to feed the fish each day and keep lights on all day. I have cut back to feeding every 2 days and lights on for only 8 or so hours. So now that I have done that, what looks like red algae on my LR is turning white. Can anyone verify what this is on my LR, and why it is turning white. Also is it safe to have that algae on there and is it safe to turn white? Pictures:

img_1105581_0_449a5a53565df3e2c569d1924fd61f74.jpg

img_1105581_1_8dc0262ffdd2c136016a1cab97233bf8.jpg

img_1105581_2_ce70d8868e6d01dd7c45dc972140396b.jpg

Also here is a close-up of one of my rocks, is this stuff green hair algae?? sorry for basic questions but I am still learning. Picture:
img_1105581_3_6def3742f60f7eb646c497cd4063e832.jpg

Thats your coralline algae. Most people tend to like it very much! Looks to be bleaching out. Funny considering you cut your lighting and are feeding less. (Coralline doesnt like a lot of light, from my understanding, nor does it like to compete with other nuisance algae due to high nutrients from feeding).

Ill bet your minerals are low. (Calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, ect) Or, did you expose the live rocks to air?

Get a reef master test kit and test your calcium and alkalinity. The coralline algae requires both in the right amounts to grow. Turning white means its dying.

As for feeding, what kind of fish do you have? I feed every other day. As for lighting time, what kind of corals do you have and what type light?

Matt

Your lighting times are fine. What lights do you have?
It could be shock from lighting change.

As mrg02d said, Most likely will be a drop in Cal/Alk.
For optimum Coraline Algae growth you want your Cal/Alk levels in tact and your lighting steady.
Coraline Algae is a good sign your water parameters are in good order.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have 2 damsels in the tank. I Also have a 48" Coralife light with 2 65W Actinic bulbs and 2 10K 65w bulbs. I leave the 10K on for about 8 hours and the Actinic for about 10 to 12. I have no other corals in the tank, although I do have an abundance of purple mushrooms. Did my first 20% PWC yesterday also so maybe that will help. I dont have a reef master kit to check the water, I will have to get one. I do have a normal kit that checks the normals. Everything is at zero along with PH at about 8.2 and SG at 1.025. I will have to check the (Calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, ect). The rocks did get a little air on the move a week ago, but for the most part were in water the whole time. would they just be turning white now? or would they have shown signs of dying earlier. anyways thanks for the help guys

... The rocks did get a little air on the move a week ago, but for the most part were in water the whole time. would they just be turning white now?...

Yup. I'm not sure of the exact time out of water that would cause it to bleach, but if it was longer than say 5 minutes or so, that'd probably be long enough to cause it to bleach. It will come back though.

Could also be a calcium deficiency if your calcium test shows less than 360ppm or so.

What's the temperature in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom