is this some sort of worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reneeanneb

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello me again. i was looking under my tank to see what was going on from underneath and i found two of these.know what they are? or if they're good or bad? the place where i got the rock from said maybe an eel? i had a red eye basslet and he ate something off of the rock that was similar to this.
thanx again

Attachments

• dsc00072.jpg
    dsc00072.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 105
  • dsc00074.jpg
    dsc00074.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 136
Looks like it could be a bristleworm. I can't tell for sure but it's the right color and they burrow in the sand.

after looking i found several of the bristle worms,but that guy that is in the picture went into hiding,he doesnt have the bristle things on his body .his body was smooth.how many are too many of the bristle worms?and if i need to get rid of them how? and what will they hurt? i have coral growing,i have 2 tunicate's(sp) i have 4 or 5 christmas tree worms 4 muscles that i have seen open,a cucumber and anenome's those are all on my rocks,plus several baby brittle starfish oh and a baby turbo snail and who knows what else (the last few pieces of rock i got is loaded)i saw a blood worm when i first got the rock but haven't seen him since,but from what i read i need to get rid of him ? my tank has been set up for over a year and was a fish only tank but i'm working on making it a reef tank and turning my 55 gal fresh water into an agressive saltwater tank.
thanx for your help

I have at least a dozen eunicid worms in my tank of various sizes. While they seem willing to eat anything, they don't seem the least bit interested in "catching" anything that has the power to move away.

They are also among the most interesting critters in my tank. (although reactions to them vary..they always provoke reaction!)

There's a good shot of one in my gallery.

Based on the number of them that I received in my LR.com order, I suspect that Eunicid worms might be among the primary scavengers in that ecosystem.

If you had to look at the bottom of your tank to find this worm...that's a worm that is doing an outstanding job IMO. Leave him be.

thats great i was worried i didnt have enough scavengers in my tank.i have been inspecting the bottom of my tank at least twice a day since the first day and have counted at least 10 of these guys hiding out under there.

Back
Top Bottom