Is this the start of coralline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrackishAqua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Posting here because you guys know best about coralline as i have never experienced it before. I have a 125 gallon brackish tank, sg 1.013. last month i added 275 lbs of live sand and 100lbs of base rock from a reef tank someone was breaking down. I had a little nitrite spike the first few days and then it dropped to 0. Soon after that a diatom bloom happened and after about 2 weeks it subsided. Now i have white circles forming all over the rocks, and glass even under the sand i have a circle. Could this be coralline starting? Didn't know it could grow in low salt if it is. If not what else could it be? ph 8.2 nitrate 80 phosphate almost 0 Ive been using rowaphos to reduce phosphates.
CAM01866.jpg CAM01874.jpg

No it's probably coralline dying off on the rocks. Coralline grows in stable reef systems where calcium and alkalinity are kept constant. It won't grow in a brackish tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

But there was no coralline on the rocks so it can't be coralline dying off. Im stumped, been doing aquariums for 7 years and never seen this. More and more circles are appearing through the diatom cover

If there was never coralline in the tank it can't be coralline. Plus coralline is only white when dying. It really only grows in stable sw tanks. Idk what that is lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom