Jellyfish type things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This morning all 3 of our saltwater fish were dead and when we got home from work we noticed all of these things floating around the tank that look like jellyfish. They are so small that i don't think we can get a picture. Has anyone seen anything like this and what do we need to do to get rid of them?

Tagging along for this one. I've got nothing sorry. :( Sorry to hear of your fish loss. Maybe get one out with a net and take a look. Put it in a bucket or something.

the only kind of tiny jellyfish like that that is highly deadly is a Irukandji jellyfish. They stick together in groups. But my question is how would you have gotten it into your aquarium. Is your live rock from Australia? I dont know if it even this. Stick your hand in the tank and find out. lol, jk. Can you tell me your water parameters?

Most likely a type of hydroid jellyfish that often disappear before you even know they're there. Google Hydroid Jellyfish and I'm sure you'll have something similar.

Most likely a type of hydroid jellyfish that often disappear before you even know they're there. Google Hydroid Jellyfish and I'm sure you'll have something similar.

But i have never heard of hydroid jellyfish killing the fish.

Thank you everyone. These look like the brown hydroid jellyfish.

More than likely they did not kill the fish, but happened to come abut due to the corpses within the tank. They feed on zooplankton because of their minute size.

Pretty interesting Innovator. I've never seen or even heard of these tiny creatures. Thanks for the great info. Definitely keeping this one in the back of my mind. ;)

Next time you can try and keep them long term in a 5g by feeding them nauplii along with regular water changes...they are very interesting and fun to watch :)

Back
Top Bottom