Just found this....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looks like a bristle worm, my dad has hundreds of them in the rockery substrate. they are harmless unless they get bigger, make an easy CUC :) x

I thought fan worm because of the end looking like a fan and the rest looking like a shell. Unless the "fan" part is the legs then. Don't take my word as I'm just learning so wanted to give it a shot. :)

Buffy said:
I thought fan worm because of the end looking like a fan and the rest looking like a shell. Unless the "fan" part is the legs then. Don't take my word as I'm just learning so wanted to give it a shot. :)

I agree, bristle worms look longer and skinier (like a worm)!

idk, im judging by colour and how similar it looks to dad's. if u dont want about 3 (in the begginning) to become 30 (2 weeks later), u may want to remove them lol!

Yeah it's just that it looks like a red zoa hanging out of a shell stuck to the rock. Let me see if I can get a better pic. It's just so tiny!

Sweet! I found a couple more starting to grow. How can they seem to come out of nowhere. I've had this tank and rock for about 6 months and have never seen them before

Tracie6283 said:
Sweet! I found a couple more starting to grow. How can they seem to come out of nowhere. I've had this tank and rock for about 6 months and have never seen them before

I'm no expert on them but I know they can reproduce in our tanks. I think they are asexual. Just be careful you are not over feeding if you end up with hundreds of the things!

You might want to check out christmas tree worm. The head looks a little different to me than a feather duster.

I don't think its a christmas tree worm, they typically burrow and live inside the rock. I would say one of the varieties of feather dusters, and its not one of the white colonial ones, so you should have not issues with it. Actually a nice filter feeder for the tank.

I guess I'm mostly curious now as to where it came from. I've had the same rock in my tank for 6 months and have never seen one. Then after during my pwc I saw it and a couple others. weird

Most likely they've been there all along and are just getting big enough for you to notice them.

Back
Top Bottom