Just got this as birthday present

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amandry7

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is it how do I care for it?... No corals in the tank 55 gal about 8 months old 3 chromis and 2 clown.

ForumRunner_20130629_100526.jpg

ForumRunner_20130629_100537.jpg

That looks like a clam or a sea urchin can't really tell but ether way you will need some pretty intense lights and if you already don't have corals you probably don't have the right lights. It might die eventually but you should probably try to put it at the top of the tank to get the most light

I think it's a type of fire scollop I seen seone else on here with one but it was all white. You tube them they can actually make an electric field sorta thing in its mouth it's awesome :)

Some are electric, not all. Flame Scallops are non photosynthetic and need target fed. They are difficult to keep alive, the daily feedings can cause nutrient build up and algae issues, and take roughly 6 months to starve to death letting you think everything is just fine. Do some serious reading on them so you and your birthday present can be successful because it is possible to keep them going. Good luck!

Some are electric, not all. Flame Scallops are non photosynthetic and need target fed. They are difficult to keep alive, the daily feedings can cause nutrient build up and algae issues, and take roughly 6 months to starve to death letting you think everything is just fine. Do some serious reading on them so you and your birthday present can be successful because it is possible to keep them going. Good luck!

You learn something new everyday I think I might want one now. Always thought they needed good lighting.

I wouldn't suggest it. I want one like nobody's business...but don't want to simply watch it die. Too hard to keep to make it worth the effort imo.

Lol yeah was just doing some research you probably have a point

And the fact that they can move...yeah. There are people in the forum who have had them for some time in their tanks...just they are back behind the rocks doing there thing and can't enjoy seeing them.

As it has been stated, this invertebrate is very hard to care for and is best left in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom