Juvenile angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmdw4587

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone help me id this guy? I'm stumped...

Attachments

• image-2764302748.jpg
    image-2764302748.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image-4070151432.jpg
    image-4070151432.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-155391486.jpg
    image-155391486.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image-4643790.jpg
    image-4643790.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 73
I would have to go with a juvenile annularis also known as a blue ring angelfish. It can be distinguished by its clear tail.

That's what I was guessing but the guy at the store didn't think so. I think I may be adding a new friend to my tank.

Koran has the bands In the shape of semi circles.

It's a juvenile annularis angel

Thanks for the help everyone!! I should have followed my gut when I first saw him. I hope he's there tomorrow!! Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help everyone!! I should have followed my gut when I first saw him. I hope he's there tomorrow!! Fingers crossed!

Nice. Just make sure you have a big tank as they can become territorial when they have settled in

My current inhabitants have been moved into my 180 they should all have room to stretch their fins

I believe they are hard to keep fish, so make sure he is eating and perfectly healthy before getting him. My friend just ordered one locally and it started out fine at the fish place but within 2 weeks time while she waited for it to be ok to take home it died at the fish place. My friend would have been out $80 and lost a beautiful fish all at one time.

You might wanna read up a bit on this guy before taking the plunge. Just my 2 cents

Can anyone help me id this guy? I'm stumped...

I can tell you it definitely is not a Queen, Imperator, Koran, Majestic or Blueface.
It has many features of a juv. Annularis BUT it has (according to the pics) a white tail which is not a common trait of a juv. Annularis. While the front body does seem to show some brown undercolor, (another sign of an Annullaris) the white tail can be a hint that it is a juv. Maculosus. (There is a great photo outlay of juv. Angels in the book "Butterfly and Angelfishes, volume 2" by Gerald R. Allen, pages 312-313 to support this. ) The real identifier will be the source of the fish. If it came from the Indian ocean or indo pacific, it's an Annularis. If it came from or near the Red Sea, you may have yourself a pre gold stripe juv. Mac. The source is the answer ;)

Hope this helps (y)

I agree with Andy Sager. When I first saw it I thought it was most likely P. maculosus ... a species I have collected in large numbers in the Persian Gulf.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom