Kinda mushroom coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charbel.eid9

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got this coral yesterday and the LFS guy told me that this is a pink mushroom coral. I googled it but i couldn't find something similar in the search. I need its ID so I can know more about it and understand its needs. Thank you!

Btw I have a 5 gal tank with one clown fish.

image-1032584690.jpg

image-313523272.jpg

Looks like a purple tip atlantic anemone (Condy Anemone). It's an invert, not a coral. They require a mature tank with pristine water conditions. They also usually require 20g+ tank with very good lighting to keep them happy. Don't think the LFS guy knew what he was talking about I'm afraid.

Gorgeous specimen though.

Most definately not a mushroom. Looks like it could be an anemone. In which case you'll need to return it asap. Also, you might want to consider a different lfs, he either doesn't know what he's talking about or doesn't care and just wants to make money off you. Or, if there's no other lfs's around, do some research on what you want before going there so you know what you're looking for. (Although with a 5gal tank your options are kinda limited)

BallinCrew10 said:
Regardless of what type it is, your tank can't support it. I would take it back asap.

Aha ok, and what do you advice to bring instead? I'm new to this and you said before that my choices are limited.
Thank you.

That looks amazing.

Your best bet is to tell the LFS they were wrong, or at least tell them what you've learnt about it, ask them for a refund or exchange for something else.

Definitely a purple tip Condy. The only problem with such a small tank is that in lower water volumes, parameters tend to swing too much. Salinity swings because of evaporation would be much greater in a 5 gallon than say a 55 gallon and the same for different trace elements.

I went back today to the LFS guy, explained to him the issue; he simply replied no refund or exchange in a rude way. Last time for me there!

And now what? :( should I upgrade to a bigger tank in order to save the condy's life?
The clown fish looks scared and never get close to it! Any idea what can be the reason?

Condys can eat fish and it probably know it. Do you know someone with a tank that is capable of taking the condy? BTW chances are the store will take it back and resell it to someone. You will be out the money but won't have to worry about it. Is there any local forums in your area that you could use to either trade it or sell it?

For the anemone it's not so much about a bigger tank; but good lighting. Maybe you can try selling it back on craigslist?

Yea, time for a new lfs. Even if you got a bigger tank, they need tanks that are established for a year or so with strong lighting. Not to say it can't be done but it'd most likely be all for nothing. As far as the clown, any new addition and my clowns stay in their corner for a while. If I were you I'd try to use this forum to find someone that lives near you to sell it. Or even find a new lfs and explain the situation, maybe exchange it for store credit.

Back
Top Bottom