Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Knew it was coming... ID's please :)

Ok, I knew this day would come, and dont expect it to be the last either I've got what I'm almost certain is a feather duster, though i've never seen one like this. It looks like a hard white skeleton type thing with little feathers sticking out. I also noticed that if i turn off the PH, it retracts in. Feather duster?

Now, this I'm thinking is a sponge?

And this... well i have no guess... there are tons of tiny green 'stalks' sticking out of the rock. they seem to get bigger every day. A couple have a few tips on them that resemble a BTA... Any ideas? ps, i know there's algae all over it... could that be the green stalky stuff?

Sorry for the bad pics btw

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
The first looks like a feather duster (or dusters) to me. The second looks like a sponge to me, but I'm not 100%. Not sure about the stalks though. Some of the gurus will be along shortly I'm sure.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Thanks Kristin. I'm almost positive its a feather duster, even though it looks nothing like any i've seen except the 'feathers' ... there are also tons of things that look like roots sticking out of all the rocks. I'm not sure if thats good or bad. Again, sorry for the horrible picture quality. the inside of the glass is pretty dirty which made it super hard to focus. I'm moving hopefully in early may, june at the latest, and I fully plan on having another 10g clean and ready to go so i can just move everything over and get rid of some of the gunk.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vermitid snails, I think.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya know, I didn't even know you had a saltwater tank Rookie LOL.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's about time the young one gave into the dark side.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

well, i've only had it for a week or two... HN1, maybe vermetid worms? not really sure based on the pics google had... of course, my (presumable) feather duster doesnt either lol

Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a shot in the dark really. I'd wait to hear from Mike, Larry, etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The 1st 1's are calcium based tube worms, probably Serpula.sp. I have lots growing on the walls in my sump. The 2nd might be a sponge...too hard to tell. The last 1, if it were me, I would take the rock out, put it in a bucket of saltwater and scrub everything off it. Looks like there are some vermitid snails, maybe some colonial hydroids and some nusiance algae. All in all, I think you would be better off giving it a good scrub.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

great, thanks I will plan on scrubbing that piece when i move, probably within the next two weeks... its right on the bottom so it would require taking out all the other pieces to get it out, something i really dont wanna do until i have to. any downside to waiting a couple weeks?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com