Leather Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chisel

Aquarium Advice Freak
A friend of mine gave me a small frag of what he said was a leather. I happened to wander to underwateroutlet.com thanks to neilanh's post and found a pic of what I have that confirms it to be a leather coral. My question is this.. Is there a certain name for this particular leather? Coincidently, in the pic, there is also a pink colored coral on the bottom right, coming out from under the frag. The same friend also gave me a frag of that too but did not know what it was called. It was small but once it opened up, it looks like a tree the size of a baseball. It looks just like the pink coral in that pic. Can I get identification?

Attachments

• leather.jpg
    leather.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 93
Thanks for the reply.

I also should add that the leather has a trunk. I will take pics later.

EDIT: I just found a decent pic of a Kenya Tree and this is exacly what it looks like.

Wont let you add pics when editing..

Attachments

• kenya.jpg
    kenya.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 98
Is this true?

Taken from Davis Family Reef Aquarium - Kenya Tree Coral

"It is very sensitive to adverse water conditions...when mine start to shrivel or fail to fully open, I know a water change is in order. Need to do no more the 10-15% once water conditions are stable. Almost immediately after change the corals blossom out once again.
Soooo, if you don't care to spend hundreds, or even thousands $$$ on various testors, sensors, probes and other expensive "gizmos" to let you know when water conditions are going sideways....Just add some of this coral, then keep a close eye on it."

That can be said for any fish, coral or mobile invert. If the water starts to deteriorate, things begin to die. That doesn't sound like the wisest way to know if water changes are in order. I'd rather use test kits and do weekly water changes and know my water is good.

That can be said for any fish, coral or mobile invert. If the water starts to deteriorate, things begin to die. That doesn't sound like the wisest way to know if water changes are in order. I'd rather use test kits and do weekly water changes and know my water is good.

I do my PWC's every two weeks. I was just curious because I had never heard of a live water parameter alarm. ;)

In addition to what Fluff has stated, I find it odd that they would make such a statement referencing a coral that is considered extremely hardy to the point of plague proportions.

Back
Top Bottom