Leather coral problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luis1662

Aquarium Advice Regular
It sure what this is. I know these corals "shed" but this looks different. Anyone else had this happen? Thanks

image-1360327364.jpg

It just looks like they are sloughing to me. What are your water test results? What kind of lighting?

Salt= 1.024
Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia is zero
Phos= zero (ro/di water from my machine)
Calcium is 420
Alk is 9
Don't have a magnesium test

All rest of corals are great. Even the babies that this has dropped are doing well. The only thing from this coral is the clown host it. Tank is a year old.

Doesent it look like its dying in that one spot?

Did you just add it or have you had it for a while? All my leathers have sloughed soon after I added them. It looks like it has been a few days since your original post, does it look better yet? Mine usually take about three days before the polyps start to extend.

If it does not get better in a few days I would think about giving it an iodine dip. Get a bowl of tank water and put a cap of kents iodine in the bowl and place the leather in it for about 20 minutes. I would do it about every other day for a week. Discard the water in the bowl. Do not put it back in the tank. I have don this many times.

It's been in there a while and I'm not to concerned about it bending over. It's more that round while spot. I Know u can't see it but when it open no polyps come out in the white spot

I've never done an iodine dip. What exactly does that do?

Back
Top Bottom