Lionfish? what type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help identifying a lionfish a friend gave me. He called it a dwarf lace lionfish, but I am not sure about that. Here is a pic if someone can help me. Also any idea if it will be ok with some corals? Thanks

Jeff
www.repairchips.net

Attachments

• lionfish_175.jpg
    lionfish_175.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 21
Looks like a Volitan lionfish (pterois volitans) to me. AFAIK they are ok with corals, just not inverts like shrimp etc.
*I moved this to the ID forum for you :wink:

Thanks I would say you are right after looking on the net at the volitan. I have him in a 30 gallon but I have a feeling that will be too small even though his body is only about 3.5-4.5 inch with tail fin. I also have a cardianal fish, and two small damsels in the aquarium. Thanks for the quick help.

Jeff

Yeah, it definately seems like a Volitan to me. They are generally ok with anything that wont fit into their mouths. They are ok with corals aswell, just watch urself when sticking ur hands in the tank :D

That lion will grow very very fast and they get HUGE. It is not a good fish for your size of tank.

Back
Top Bottom