Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Little hard white things stuck in my leather!

A couple of my leathers have been doing poorly lately. I recently had an outbreak of little white nudibranchs so it would seem the nudi's are eating the leathers. One leather especially has been on the decline for weeks not and upon closer examination today I found all these little white hard things sticking out of it. One in particular was very large(picture below) it was shaped like an arrow head, the rest were 1/8-1/4" . When I crushed it there was a red/black goo inside. Well I removed about 50-60 of these little white hard things with a tweezers. They were spread all over but really grouped at a few spots that were black and dieing on the leather.

Anybody know what they are or how I can help this leather. Should I dip the leather, frag it and put a couple pieces in another tank and hopefully some will recover?

Old 08-07-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The one next to the dime is a type of parasitic oyster. I read an article about them years ago, but can't place it right now. The other look like spicules, part of the normal structure of a leather, but found on the inside. I think your leather is too stressed to frag, and even then, you may simply transport the parasites to another tank.

Tags
eat, leather, stuck

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com