Little things developing in my LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maurice2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've dutifully studied Marine Invertebrates (Shimek) but haven't found these things. Could anyone help me to identify them please?

1. Pacific or Caribbean scarlet cleaner shrimp (ambionensis or grabhami)?
IMG_2257.jpg

2. About 1.6cm across
IMG_2271.jpg

3. About 1cm high
IMG_2278.jpg

4. About 6mm across
IMG_2280.jpg

5. About 8mm across
IMG_2282.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help :D

#1.. Need to see the tail flap.
Lysmata amboinensis has disconected stripes on the outside edge of the tail flap and Lysmata grabhami has solid stripes.

#2.. Anemonia cf. Majano

#3.. Appears to be a tube dwelling polychate but I would need to see a good top down pick to be sure.

#4.. is a sedentary polychaete

#5.. looks like a species of Epicystis. Would need to see a clear pic of the foot and under the oral disc.

Cheers
Steve

tbonem91 said:
I cant offer anything, but WOW those are nice clear pictures - mind if I ask what camera you use?
Thank you for the compliment :wink:
Canon 20D, 100mm macro, external flash. Colour balance corrected with Photoshop.

steve-s said:
#1.. Need to see the tail flap.
Lysmata amboinensis has disconected stripes on the outside edge of the tail flap and Lysmata grabhami has solid stripes.
#2.. Anemonia cf. Majano
#3.. Appears to be a tube dwelling polychate but I would need to see a good top down pick to be sure.
#4.. is a sedentary polychaete
#5.. looks like a species of Epicystis. Would need to see a clear pic of the foot and under the oral disc.
*gasps* Thank you. You're a marine biologist right? I'm quite flabbergasted, the more so after all I've read about how impossible it is to identify marine creatures.

For 2-5:
- Will they grow?
- Are they harmless?
- Will fish eat them?

I think steve means only the majano is harmful. Everything else are nice bonus additions. :)

*edited to also mention that majano anemone are bad because they will reproduce quickly and sting anything in the tank. Many people have had good luck using a product called Joe's Juice to rid their tanks of these pests.

Fluff said:
I think steve means only the majano is harmful. Everything else are nice bonus additions. :)

*edited to also mention that majano anemone are bad because they will reproduce quickly and sting anything in the tank. Many people have had good luck using a product called Joe's Juice to rid their tanks of these pests.

Shame, cute little things.
There are about 4-5 of them ATM. I don't have any fish yet, so if I'm hearing you right I should rip them out?

I presume they're not potent enough to sting me :? ???

You do not want to do anything that would tear/damage them. Species like this can/will reproduce via tissue seperation. All you would accomplish is making more of them. You need to erradicate them where they sit. Joe's Juice is an excellent start, kalkwasser paste, injecting them via hypodermic needle with either lemon juice or vinegar are also options. You can employ peppermint shrimp to keep the smaller ones from coming back but in doing so you may also sacrifice your polychaete "duster" worms. They like to snack on them as well.

Cheers
Steve

a cleaner shrimp hitch hiked on your LR...nice. Where did you get your LR from?

zenn said:
a cleaner shrimp hitch hiked on your LR...nice. Where did you get your LR from?
Har-har :)
No, of course, I added the cleaner, but was curious as to which variety it was.

@Steve: Thanks for the advice, I injected them with a hypodermic filled with fresh lemon juice, all shrivelled and dead in 5 minutes. The difficult bit was finding a chemist's shop that would sell me a syringe and needle - we have lots of problems with drug addicts here and it appears that they are not the desirable kind of repeat customer.

Back
Top Bottom