Live rock growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

effin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now that my snails have cleared off a lot of the algae I'm noticing a lot of coralline growth on my Fiji rock. I also noticed this, can anybody identify it .

The whole thing is maybe 1 cm square. The little circles are small tubes, maybe a couple millimeters tall. The base is a sort of milky-white, while the tubes have a greenish hue.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks. After searching on both, I'm leaning towards some type of porites. It's so small that it's hard to tell. Tomorrow when the lights are on I'll try to get a better look.

It seems that the porites are pretty demanding of high light levels, but this is somewhat deep (15"), under PC, and partially shaded. I guess time will tell what it is and if it will thrive.

I've read the same about the porites but have found them to be more forgiving and hardy than they say. I have a brown porites rock that does great under my pc (4x65w) lights. It's possibly my favorite coral. Good luck.

I have a huge green star polyp colony. It has encrusted over the rocks surrounding the original colony. With teh lights off and the polyps retracted, it looks just like what you have in the pic. Could be a baby green star colony. What type of lighting you have?

Light is PC 2x65 on a 37 gal. This piece of rock is probably about 15" deep. The rock is only 3 weeks old, "pre-cured" Fiji from liveaquaria. Until I noticed this guy, everything else I've found on the rock so far is either coralline or tube worm.

It's just too small for me to get any better picture or description. Guess I'll have to wait for it to grow (hopefully).

Back
Top Bottom