Live rock turning Red

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmulgrew97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am apps. 3-4 weeks into cycling my tank and I noticed my recently added live rock has turned almost completely Red in a matter of days, any advice on what this is, and how I can properly and safely remove it?

Do you have pictures? Sounds like cyano which is very common in New setups.

Here is the best pic of it I could get, if you can't really see it it is dark dark green and covers most of the live Fiji rock

Attachments

• image-1447216068.jpg
    image-1447216068.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 200
Looks like diatoms also something that occurs frequently in new tanks. You'll experience algae blooms for the first few month while the excess nutrients in your tank are used up by the algaes. This is one reason why more difficult saltwater specimens are reccomended for "established" tanks so that they don't experience these fluctuations in water quality/make-up.

Thank you for the info. Are these diatoms something I should worry about harming my fish, or changing my water quality. If so, would you know how I could prevent it?

No diatoms really only effects corals. You'll just have to wait it out along with water changes.

Well thank you, I definitely do appreciate it and I will undergo a couple of water changes and wait out the problem, hopefully it has little affect on my fish in the long run

The blue hippo tang requires a much larger tank and if kept to long in this size tank will develop ich from stressmore then likely which tangs are very prone to get. 125s are imo the smallest tank to put a tang in.

It's appx 3/4 of an inch right now, will it be safe in a 30 gallon for at least a small period of time?

It could be kept yes but no one can say when stunting sets in. You should stock your fish according to their adult size.

Ok, thankful for advice.. Was aware hippo tang grew quite large, but didn't know it would spark a problem in its health, do you advice removing it?! If at all possible I would try to avoid that.

Yes like I said you should only house a fish in a tank according to its adult size unless you have a larger system to move it to as it grows.

Alright thank you for advice, I'll look into getting another fish, hopefully something just as unique, although doubtful

How bout a blue gudgeon or scissortail dartfish if you want blue.

Very cool, gudgeon is a neat fish I've seen it from time to time, I think I'll go with that, maybe someday I'll look to upgrading so I can get that yellow tailed beauty back

Ya I want one to but still don't have a big enough tank for any tangs so I feel you lol

Back
Top Bottom