liverocks.com questions about critters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan24

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just ordered 20lbs of keys rock today. i was just wondering if there are any bad hitchhikers i should look for when it arrives on tuesday..

I think the 2 biggest ones are aptasia and Mantis Shrimp....although with only 20 lbs. Mantis might not be that big a concern.

I had a 6 inch Bobbit Worm...

I thought he looked neat...and I threw him in the tank...until I learned that he can eat fish, and use bones to line his lair!!

I quickly took him out (in 2 pieces). I have recently seen a small on in the tank now too...but I have been unable to catch him.

WC

Here is a pic of an isopod. Sorry it's not great. I took the pic on the lid of a white bucket and the flash washed it out. But, you get the idea.

Thanks fluff.....I'm gonna be ordering about 180 lbs from lr.com and like being able to id the undesireable critters before I even get it.

Isopods are very distinctive. The huge black eyes are a dead give away. You'll know it when you see it. Manual removal with is the best way to get rid of them. If you find one attached to your fish, net the fish and use tweezers or something simular to carefully remove the pod. They aren't real common. The best way to find them is to check your fish after lights out.

Back
Top Bottom