Looking at this coral but not sure what it is???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
This is the coral which is the bright green encrusting looking one and it will be $20. Best pic is the second to the last one.

What kind of light does it need and does it need to be fed. Guy said he got it as a frag and didn't know its name.

Originally I wanted the white one but it is gone
Fish, Corals, Live Rock

Help! :flowers::thanks:

Looks like a sunset montipora to me, an sps but definitely on the easy side of sps. I've got one and it's one of my favorite pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love Montiporas, so I think I will get it for my new tank. This is from a guy shutting down the tank, but the other two I was wanting are frags of Rainbow and Peach. This seems like a good deal for $20.

Was there anything else which looks good for lower to medium light? I know about the orange/rust Rics, I have one of those and it does great for me. Anything else work for the Fluval light?

The Duncan's in the 5th pic look nice, and that big ol toadstool.

Thanks for the help, he went down considerably from the price posted so maybe a time for a great deal!!!

How would I know it getting some of the LR would be a good or bad idea?

I know to look for Apista or Aiptasia, which way is it spelled correctly for the little pests?

So I am emailing him about the bunch, Monti, Duncan, Leather and maybe a red Mushroom I think I saw. :) Maybe $60 for them does that sound like a good deal for that? Maybe throw in the feather duster? :brows:

Ya that sounds like a good deal, that show size toadstool could go for $60. As for the rock just give it a good look over for algae/cyano or aiptasia. I'd also recommend googling dinoflagellates and looking at a few images, if you see anything that looks like dinos run the other way and add nothing from a tank with dinos

Looks like a sunset montipora to me, an sps but definitely on the easy side of sps. I've got one and it's one of my favorite pieces.

I don't think it's sunset. Sunset is orange with green polyps. I agree it's some sort of monti though. Definitely nice for $20 though

The body looks orange-ish, figured it would color back up. Can you think of anything else with the bright green polyps like that?

Hmm maybe I'm just color blind lol!

One of us is :p, the body looks to be brown/orange to me but I am on my phone. Either way it's a great deal Autumn.

Here's a sunset for your comparison (don't mind the gha :D).

Thanks Bribo and Red, I am waiting to hear back I told him for sure the green one though, and don't know what price he will come up with but the 60-65 is what I am thinking in my pocket book, was getting ready to buy 1" frags for nearly same $ 10 was price for Duncan with 2 and a baby head and 19 and 15 for Rainbow and Peach Monti frag around ~10 maybe 12 or something for the Leather so I think those look WAY better for the ~20 price. I have been looking for an actual coral at least one to be a focal point for my tank and the other lfs I was at last night had a 6x8 looked like a Peach colored Monti but had a bit of a plate on it for $60-70 clerk wasn't sure and I was just running in at closing time to P/U water. Wasn't planning on spending that much for one piece right now anyway.

Thanks again so much, I am so happy to be able to get good advice from you!!!

Those look like great deals! I love Duncans and that one is a great size! I paid $20 for three heads, luckily it is growing fast and has 6 baby heads already. Post pictures of what you get!!

Those look like great deals! I love Duncans and that one is a great size! I paid $20 for three heads, luckily it is growing fast and has 6 baby heads already. Post pictures of what you get!!

Hopefully, just got home from a 12 hour day and don't have another email from him yet. I will post if/when I get it/them! lol

Quick side question about coral frags, I have another hobbyist who is selling Sunset Montipora, $10 for about .75 inch piece, been on the plug for over a month. He is also willing to do a 2" square for $45. (not fragged at that size, he would have to do one for me) Would I be better off just getting a few smaller ones or one large one? And how many weeks is best for a frag to get settled after being cut?

For encrusting corals like sps the biggest thing I look at is the base the frag is putting down on the plug, the more of the plug being grown over by the coral the healthier it is IME. I'd just look at the frags they have available and select the one that's the most encrusted over the plug it's on, and watch it grow :). As to freshly cut sps, they can be a pain, no real time table as it's a little different for each frag but I don't like to buy stuff unless it's had a few weeks to a month to heal up if possible. Looking at the base of the frags is good for this too as most will encrust fully onto what ever they're attached to before growing up and out.

For encrusting corals like sps the biggest thing I look at is the base the frag is putting down on the plug, the more of the plug being grown over by the coral the healthier it is IME. I'd just look at the frags they have available and select the one that's the most encrusted over the plug it's on, and watch it grow :). As to freshly cut sps, they can be a pain, no real time table as it's a little different for each frag but I don't like to buy stuff unless it's had a few weeks to a month to heal up if possible. Looking at the base of the frags is good for this too as most will encrust fully onto what ever they're attached to before growing up and out.

Good, that makes perfect and logical sense. How about the combo say 2 or 3 .75 inch would be better than the new cut 2" square for $45.? I will get them in about 10 days after I get everything set up in the new tank, or "order" the other one and pick up in a month or so then.

Do you want the montis in different locations? I think I'm a little confused :eek:

Just buy 1 of the $10 ones and let it grow. Sunset montipora is not really a difficult coral.

Just buy 1 of the $10 ones and let it grow. Sunset montipora is not really a difficult coral.

+1, and then you got another $20 for what ever other goodies they have :p

Do you want the montis in different locations? I think I'm a little confused :eek:

Well just because they are so small, to add 2 or 3. Not necessary? Sorry for the confusion.

Also found my local home business, local supplier has Rainbow Montis, nice frags for $19 and well grown over the sides. Pics here 2/3rds the way down, which looks better, the more long or more square one? Also have a Lepestra, and a Peach, the squarish Chili Pepper looks nice, ...on the radar, anything there look like a great deal to you? https://www.mindblowingcorals.com/store/c30/$20_&_Under.html

Back
Top Bottom