Looking for name of plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefvettech

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for a marine plant I saw a while back, it resembled a grape vine, with white "fruit". Anyone know the name?

Wow that was easy. I was told by someone else, that it was a very rare and hard to find plant, but as soon as I looked it up by that name I found out they were really wrong. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Did they also warn you that it will take over your tank? lol
It is a fast growing macro and hard to get rid of once it gets a hold. It's best used in a fuge where it can be kept under control. Also, it does go sexual and needs constant pruning so it doesn't muck up your tank. It is attractive, no doubt but it comes with it's own warnings.

I have never heard of caulerpa with white on it - I know there are different kinds, but I'm only familiar with what I have (grape caulerpa). Does it look like this? I like it and so far it hasn't taken over, but I definately can see how it could happen. For now, I just trim it back occasionally, although, it isn't a steady grower. Sometimes it grows in spurts and I have to trim back the new shoots. Otherwise I really enjoy it.

Attachments

• grapecaulerpa3_010.jpg
    grapecaulerpa3_010.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 42
Caulerpa goes sexual and the "grapes" will turn white. I think this may be what was meant by white fruit.

Thanks Fluff! Good to know. So when that happens, should I prune all the white off?

You should be "pruning" regularly to prevent it from happening. Prune off by pinching, not cutting, the parts that are starting to go transparent and the runners.

Back
Top Bottom