Looks like I have a cone snail in the tank somewhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was checking out the tank at 3am....up due to a low battery in a smoke alarm.....and I saw a snail gliding down the glass. Pretty normal thing, but I noticed that the foot was very slim and red. When it hit the sand I noticed the shape and thought that it was a cone snail due to the shape. By the time I googled it and got back to the tank it was gone.

Not sure if anyone can assist with an ID without a picture, but the shell was dark greyish and the foot was red. Not sure what this one is eating, but they are all carnivourous, so it can't be good.

Closest one on there is the Columbellid snail, but the end of the shell (as far away from the opening and mantle) was a lot shorter....more snub

I found what I thought was the top of his shell in the sand and dug it out with the net. It was him. Still not sure what to do with him. I'm hoping someone can give me some more info on this guy: general diet, how venomous, etc.

Here are three shots: him on his back in a plastic container, him right-side up in a plastic container, and his foot as he climbs the side of the container

Attachments

• cone on back.jpg
    cone on back.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 116
  • cone from top.jpg
    cone from top.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 93
  • cone foot.jpg
    cone foot.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 98
I can't find any info on this guy and I don't want to risk putting him in the sump. Guess he will have to be "rapidly desalinated"

Because I don't want him killing the worms or snails that are in there. Plus, I don't want a trip to the hospital if I'm rummaging around in there looking for a piece of live rock rubble

I wouldn't really worry about the snail catching any prey or doing damage to you. Just don't eat it raw. ;)

What you have there my friend is Conus abbreviatus. It is found in Hawaii and surrounding geographic islands.

Like all shells of the genus Conus, it has a radular tooth that is used to inject a neurotoxin into it's prey. This particular species is not necessarily dangerous to humans although you should always exercise care when handling the Cone snails. This species feeds on polychete worms although it will also feed on fan worms, etc.

Sorry if I sound like an encyclopedia but I have been studying these shells and collecting the family (over 500 species) for several decades.

I hope this helps with your little "house guest".

Don't kill the Cone Snail! They are beautiful creatures. Take him to LFS. They will take him I'm sure. Someone would give him a good home in their sump.

Sorry if I sound like an encyclopedia but I have been studying these shell and collecting the family (over 500 species) for several decades.

I hope this helps with your little "house guest".

Don't be sorry, I'm always glad to find out more information. Good thing I found him as I wouldn't want him slowly clearing out my tank of all the worms.

Don't kill the Cone Snail! They are beautiful creatures. Take him to LFS. They will take him I'm sure. Someone would give him a good home in their sump.

If I had of put him in the sump he would have slowly starved to death.

Yep, breed em if you can find another if it isnt asexual as it is. there is a huge market for so called pest inverts in the fish world. Since it eats only worms, keep em or ship him to someone who wants him. No need to kill them.

Back
Top Bottom