macro id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The Green one acts like a species of caluerpa, grows pretty quick and has hold fasts all over. Just has little bulbs instead of blades.
The red used to be smooth around the edges and now has fringes. Very beautiful though, so I hope its OK. What fish will eat it, so I can avoid them?

TIA

Thought the grape was red as well :? , I have some of that too. Been wrong before, especially when it comes to this hobby. Here is a pic as well of the other algae. The rocks that that this stuff is growing on is 16 mos. old and then boom, here it is. The wonders of LR.
Thanks again Kevin :wink:

From http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_algae.htm

faq_halymenia.jpg

"This is possibly Halymenia sp. or Dictyota sp. Halymenia and Dictyota are both very attractive algae that do well in reef aquaria. Fast growth of these algae may indicate high nutrient content in the tank. When dissolved nutrients are limited, they can be out-competed by other species more suited to the low nutrient environment of reef aquaria. As a note, Dictyota sp. contain some very potent anti-predation chemicals so control (if needed) of these algae may not be possible with common herbivores like tangs. Nutrient stripping (as provided by high efficiency protein skimming) is a better way to limit unwanted growth in chemically defended species. Dictyota can also be quite beautiful as seen in the picture above. "

Back
Top Bottom