Mantis shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just put my LR in from tampabaysaltwater yesterday. I did a minute fresh water dip for each peace because I really did not want to get a mantis. Alot of little crabs, stars, snails, hermits...came out but no shrimp. I even poked around in the holes.

Day2 I am hearing clicking but the clicks are usually 1 at a time and only a few times was 2 within 10 seconds. Does this mean it is a pistol? The clicks are not just at night. I have been hearing a loud single pop all morning maybe every 15-20 min.

Thanks

I know Fluff I am very very nervous. "this" may be a pistol, however who knows if I have mantis as well. I live on the 6th floor and reading all these stories on the net about mantis breaking glass has got me about to tear everything down and take a 1,000+ loss.

I'd say it probably is a pistol shrimp also. Check it out at night to see if you can see it.

I hope that is the case. The reason I am "hoping" is because it clicks a lot to be a mantis I think. Everything I read talked about multiple rapid clicks for a mantis and this is only 1 or 2 at a time, but very frequent. Some are louder than others.

IMO, mantis are not the monsters they are made out to be. I have read and know of people who keep them in their reefs and coral prop tanks. The potential for broken glass is there if you have the right species but I wouldn't worry about that. Chances I would think are pretty slim. It would take a large mantis to break the glass and you would know if you had that one in there. I had a mantis living in my reef for two years and didn't know it was there til I caught it scurrying about at one night so not all of them are loud bangers either. ;)

Thanks Fluff....would yu believe it. I am looking at my tank at all the featherdusters etc. and I see two eyes on a tiny brown stolk looking at me and then it receeded into the rock. The piece is small. I am going to try and carefully remove the rock. May be more than one

I got one!!!!

Guess what!!!! 1 down and still more clicks. Pistol NOT or maybe the pistol is the noise and I got lucky. Hyper dip did not work but fresh dip did!!!

Fluff...What am I going to do? Maybe call the LFS tomorrow and see if they will take it. I really do not like killing anything

I am going to call the LFS tomorrow. I know there is more. This rock from tampabay is really live. I guess it is part of the adventure. Maybe I overeacted a bit.

Hopefully your lfs will accept it. Some do, some don't. If not, you may find someone in your area that will take it also. They make great animals for a species only nano. If I were closer..... :)

I am sure. He actually has some nice green and blue spots underneath him. I wish I had a place but I have enough with my main tank being my first one LOL

I am near positive he/she is a n Wennera. I know I have at least 1 more but this one was the big clicker for sure. Now I only hear 1 click every few hours instead of few minutes. Are these kind known to break glass when they get bigger?

theres 2 sub groups of mantis, beaters and stabbers, beater bludgeon their prey resulting in a "click" however some have stabbers instead, and will "stab" its prey, leaving no noise when it attacks.

i dunno if stabbers make a noise or not otherwise

Back
Top Bottom