maybe easy ID... HH critter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
This has been on a live rock of mine since I got it. Ive done some searching but I cant seem to find anything like it for sale and I dont really know what to search for on google or anything heh... It doesnt have a shell and it moves around (or used to anyway) a little bit. If you touch it slightly it doesnt freak out and shrink up but if you bump it hard itll 'deflate' i guess is the best way to describe it. (I acidentally bumped it with my fishnet once.) I thought maybe it was an anemone(sp?) but its never been looked at twice by my toby which, i thought, ate them. Also, I dont have any sort of special lighting, just the tube that came with the tank, I thought they required some decent lighting. It has a mouth in the middle and if i feed my fish itll 'catch' bits of food that float near it and move it to its mouth really slow, its neat to watch.

Attachments

• img_0938small_115.jpg
    img_0938small_115.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 27
That looks like aiptasia (bad anemone) There are a few ways of getting rid of this guy. A product called Joe's Juice is a good one I have used it myself. There is another out there but I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure that someone will chime in and let you konw what it is and some other ways of getting rid of it. Don't try and scrape it off the rock as they can and will multiply like crazy! I suggest using Joe's Juice, your LFS should carry it if not you can get it on Ebay!

I agree. Only other things I know that you can use is kalk paste. Some people also use lemon juice or boiling water. But I think you are safer w/ Joes Juice. Its easy to use, and totally reef safe!

interesting. what makes these guys so bad? just that they multiply a lot?

and on a side note... anyone think it might be safe to try putting another type of anemone in since aparently nothing in my tank messes with it?

Agnate80700 said:
what makes these guys so bad? just that they multiply a lot?
Yep, you hit the nail on the head! I bought two pepperment shrimp to clean up mine. I had two and they only ate 1, so they are no guarantee.
Agnate80700 said:
and on a side note... anyone think it might be safe to try putting another type of anemone in since aparently nothing in my tank messes with it?
I am not sure, what do you have in your tank?
Remember, they need an established tank about 6-12 months.
Can you update "my info" with your tank specs/equipment/critters? That will help us.

my tank isnt old enough (only about 2 months), so im not going to consider it until later. I got some joes juice, did the trick :)

Back
Top Bottom