Misidentified coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarbaraH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
LFS employee told me this was "a soft coral. Maybe leather." It did kind of look soft under the lighting they had on so I listened to what she said. When I got home I found out it is as hard as rock and rough. I don't know why she didn't say something when she bagged it for me. I can't find anything like this online. I have never seen any extension or movement. It was bright white when I bought it. Only now that there is some algae, can I even see the spots/pores.

Attachments

• 20170213_143759.jpg
    20170213_143759.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20170213_144036.jpg
    20170213_144036.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 113
That looks like a dead stylophora...I'd take it back and get my money back

from what I can make out of it it looks like the beginnings of a colt coral which is a part of the leather family ,

3 opinions totally opposite

looking at the fingers looks like the starting of this but not set in stone
but going back to research for a set answer

Colt_ps.jpg
Save
ggSaveg

Save

Last edited:
hank=
Green%20Pocillopora_ps1.jpg

bribo=
A796_PS.jpg

now this is close

think bribo hit it on the nose with stylo

still need another opinion for final confirmation lol

now I can see why this is a hard one to id

Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Also wanted to add that I was in the LFS the morning after they had received their corals. I don't know who their supplier is. Once they were priced, four days later, I went back to purchase. It never changed it's appearance from the first time I saw it so it seemed like all was well. I'll have to go back and talk to them about it. Thanks again.

It could be pocci as well but I'm sticking to a stylo, either way I'd take it back and get a refund if you can. Thing looks pretty much dead, especially if you've never seen polyps

Back
Top Bottom